Monday 19 October 2009

Fashionably Late and Balancing Acts

I know, I know...I swan in declaring that I shall return to regular blogger status and then disappear into the ether once again, returning once again promising that it shall change.

Life as a second year journalism student is harder than I thought. The pressure is really on this year to do well as the marks actually count and this is the year that could put us on that long desired route of top journalist. I'm not sure how the real world manages really and I have serious respect for every journalist out there from staff writer, freelancer to the fashion editor. One of my assignments this term is to come up with, pitch and write a 2000 word feature. Simple right? Well yeah, if you have the idea to begin with. This is where I seem to be struggling...ideas, yeah I have no end of them but not all are suited to this particular length of feature. So I have been racking my brains constantly, scouring the newspapers from the wonderful Guardian to the not so wonderful Daily Mail (did anyone see that awful story by Jan Moir on Stephen Gately's death?!) to inspire me. I think I have an idea so I guess watch this space...Hopefully I'll be able to build up my portfolio of printed work in the next year!

I have also found an absolutely amazing fashion book, by Caroline Evans called Fashion on the Edge. Its our set text for this year for one of the modules we study and yes it is academic but its so interesting, although a little morbid in places I thought. The book considers the dark side of contemporary fashion with its themes of death, alienation, destruction and what this tells us about society. It can be a little heavy in places but its highly readable, and definately recommend it, whether or not you are studying fashion. Its also got some amazing photos from the collections of Alexander McQueen, Viktor and Rolf and John Galliano amongst others.

Viktor & Rolf (S/S 1997)


Alexander McQueen (A/W 1995 "Highland Rape")

The book includes a lot on both the above collections, Alexander McQueen's collection is particularly interesting and there is some good analysis on it. Definately worth a read!

1 comment:

  1. Bloggen SUS elsker mode!

    Men HOLD KÆFT hvor er vi på røveren økonomisk.

    Er du også det? Som kig forbi vores blog www.sos-su.blogspot.com.

    Her giver vi dig ægte genbrug, billig mad, fede fester til halv pris, mande-guides, snap shot af din by, gør-det-selv råd, collager, og meget andet.

    Alt sammen noget man har råd til, hvis man er på mother freakin' SU!

    Vi glæder os til at se jer allesammen.

    SUS

    //Katarzyna & Line Love

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

 

Made by Lena