Monday 22 June 2009

A Picture Says A Thousand Words

I'm a bit short on words after a crazily busy weekend at a wedding so thought I'd just share some pictures I like. Its a bit of a mixed bag featuring fashion photography from Cecil Beaton, Lee Miller, a Vanity Fair shoot featuring Emily Blunt and a dress designed by Manish Arora which was later worn by Katy Perry....



I love how fresh the first image is by Cecil Beaton, showcasing Dior's new look from the fifties and how that style is still used today...there are so many similarities between this image and the Vanity Fair image. His influence on fashion photography is huge. I absolutely adore fashion from the 1920's and fifties...both decades were so elegant. It was a time when people really dressed up.

I love how fun the Manish Arora dress is...the detail that has gone into it is amazing. I love it when fashion branches into art. Like the scuptural shoes that have featured for the past few seasons...totally unwearable in reality but absolutely brilliant all the same. I don't think fashion should be just about practicalities.

I'm wondering if anyone can help me...there is a photo, I think it was in Vogue during the second world war of a model standing in the middle of bombed London. I can't think who did it but I know its really famous. If anyone can jog my memory that would be amazing!

Hope you've all had a good weekend :)

7 comments:

  1. How cool is that carousel dress??? I am not crazy or anything, but I would love have it on me!!! so childish, so perfect, so unique!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 20's and the 50s were indeed two of the most elegant decades! I love the 3d picture... The dress is impeccable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such gorgeous photographs. That Vanity Fair shoot with Emily Blunt is one of my all-time favorite. Though, if I must confess, the Roaring 20s will always be the era I adore the most! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love the last dress, the little details are insane!
    and the second picture is beautiful

    http://fashionhandglide.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for your comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love older fashion photos. I have a book of vintage fashion that is an endless source of inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love ur third pict...
    and your post, good choice... =D

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

 

Made by Lena